May 24, 201711:20 AM
Let Them Eat Cake
The official blog of New Orleans Bride Magazine, offering a daily dose of all things weddings
Wediquette Wednesday: What are the best man’s duties?
Each Wednesday, we tackle wedding etiquette. At times, it’s a reader question or one from a colleague, friend or family member and other times we’ll cover a popular issue. (Note: Questions may be edited for clarity and brevity.)
Question: My brother asked me to be his best man. I know I have to coordinate the bachelor party, but am not 100 percent sure on anything beyond that point. What are the best man’s duties?
Answer: What an honor. Especially when the groom is your brother. This is an opportunity for you not only to celebrate him, but also to lend a helping hand with the many items on his wedding to-do list in the coming months. Here’s a quick list of what the best man usually takes care of leading up the wedding festivities and on the Big Day:
- Plan and coordinate the bachelor party
- Assist with general requests from the groom or couple
- Assist with coordination of groomsmen’s formalwear and pick up groom’s wedding attire
- Organize toasts for the rehearsal party
- Ensure that the groom gets to the ceremony on time
- Keep the officiant’s fee or honorific and hand off to the groom after the ceremony
- Bring and handle the bride’s ring
- Serve as the groom’s witness when it’s time to sign the marriage license
- Assist in coordinating the groomsmen for photos
- Make the first toast during the reception
- Prepare the getaway car
- Return the groom’s formalwear
Most of all, just be there for your brother and enjoy this time together before he starts a new chapter of his life.
Save the date for our June 2017 Bridal Show – June 7, Hyatt Regency New Orleans. Get your tickets and more information here.