Photographed by Eugenia Uhl
Around this time every year, children get another round of gift-giving in the absence of Santa’s winter goodies thanks to the Easter Bunny. This overgrown rabbit delights kiddies everywhere, bringing a variety of presents in the form of plush toys, chocolates and those ubiquitous Peeps every spring. Take a step away from the norm this season, however, and give the little ones or new moms in your life presents that make a make a much bigger impact and don’t come with an expiration date. Whether it’s adornments for their bedrooms, learning toys or a new outfit for Easter Sunday, a palette of pretty pastels perfectly suits the mood of the month, and there are loads of great gift options out there for growing boys and girls.
1. (Above Photo) A child’s room should always express how unique he or she truly is, and it should be decorated accordingly. Simple touches like hand-painted dolls or art create a restful and inspiring environment, allowing them to be the best they can be. While this doll, which can be hung or seated somewhere, may look fit for a girl, it’s pale blue hue means it can also reside in a little boy’s room. Orient Expressed, 3905 Magazine St., 899-3060.
2. For those new moms or moms-to-be, gifts that are practical as well as pretty are a great choice. Babies will love this cozy blanket-and-puppy combination, and moms will certainly appreciate the quiet it provides. A picture frame to remember those captured early memories is always a thoughtful touch. Little Laughter, 5330 Magazine St., 897-4880.
3. This super-cuddly teddy (carrying her own little bear) may look like an ordinary stuffed animal but it’s actually entertainment and a teaching tool in one. Press her hand and she sings three nursery rhymes for your little ones. This bear would be the perfect place-setter for children for your Easter Sunday brunch. Auraluz, 4408 Shores Drive, Metairie, 888-3313.
4. Indulge your little one’s inner princess with her very own tea set. This adorable box includes a painted ceramic tea set, sandwich cutter and recipe book, so she can have a perfectly ladylike tea party. Angelique Baby, 3719 Magazine St., 301-2583.
5. Top off your little girl’s outfit with a cute hat for spring. The wide brim ensures those cheeks will remain sunburn-free, and the oversized floral appliqué fits in perfectly with the new warmer weather. Mignon for Children, 2727 Prytania St., 891-2374.
6. Every child needs an Easter outfit, so embrace the holiday with cute jumpers and dresses sporting a similar vibe. These smocked cotton ones feature a removable bunny bib, so once the day is over it can be monogrammed and worn for months afterward – it’s like two outfits in one! Itsy Bitsy Me, 1213 N. Causeway Blvd., 834-3990.
7. A cute little scooter is a great gift option for a tyke, but why not go above and beyond with a whimsical take on one? This small, mobilized cow, with a soft leather seating area, will provide endless enjoyment as they tool around the house. The Baby’s Room, 1217 N. Causeway Blvd.,