Sweetly Strawberry Recipe
Chef Joey Wells of Roux on Orleans cools us down with his Atole de Fresa.
Jeffery Johnston Photographs
Atole de Fresa
(strawberry dessert soup)
2 pints fresh strawberries, sliced
1 1/4 cups sugar
2 cups water
1 2/3 cups (or 6 ounces) masa harina (corn flour)
2 cups buttermilk
1 vanilla bean, split in half lengthwise
1 stick canella or other stick
1/2 cup sweetened whipped cream
Fresh mint sprigs
• In a blender or food processor combine strawberries and 1/2-cup sugar.
• Cover and blend or process until smooth and set aside.
• In a small saucepan, combine water and masa harina.
• Whisk until well mixed, then strain mixture though a fine mesh sieve.
• Return mixture to saucepan. Cook and stir over medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes or until thickened.
• Reduce heat to low, stir in buttermilk, 3/4-cup sugar, vanilla bean, cinnamon stick and puréed strawberries.
• Cook for 5 minutes more. If necessary, thin soup with milk (the mixture should be thick but pourable).
• Cover and chill for 2 hours. Before serving, remove vanilla bean and cinnamon stick; scrape bean and return seeds to mixture.
• Divide soup among small dessert bowls. Garnish with sweetened whip cream and fresh mint.
*Chef Wells will be helming a San Fermin Spanish Wine Dinner on July 11 at the Bourbon Orleans Hotel;
for more information, visit BourbonOrleans.com/SpanishWineDinner.