NEW ORLEANS (press release) – Audubon Zoo’s 2021 Summer Camp offers children an in-person camp experience filled with inspiring nature adventures in a safe environment. This year’s camp will look a little different than years past as Audubon incorporates comprehensive wellness protection measures into its daily operations. Audubon Zoo Summer Camp will continue to offer hands-on science investigations, Zoo explorations, up-close animal encounters, arts and crafts, and nature-themed activities.
“We can’t wait to welcome our campers back this summer,” said Audubon’s Director of Education, Llewellyn Everage. “Campers will explore nature and science as we play in the Zoo and meet amazing animals. It is going to be a wild and wonderful summer!”
Audubon has updated the camp experience this year to offer smaller group sizes, more personalized instruction, and a limited number of campers each week. Updated safety policies and procedures include:
- Face coverings will be required for all children throughout the camp day. Strategic mask breaks will be taken when outdoors and when social distancing can be maintained.
- Groups with children six-years-old and older will be capped at 16 campers per group with a 1:8 instructor ratio.
- Groups with children ages four to six-year-old will be capped at 18 campers per group with a 1:6 instructor ratio.
- Zoo Campers will be kept within their group—like a school pod—throughout the week to reduce potential exposures to illness.
- If siblings or children who share a household are registered for the same week of camp, they will be assigned to the same group.
- Cleanliness of classrooms and equipment will be maintained daily in accordance with CDC guidelines and recommendations.
- If there is a reported case of COVID-19 within a camper’s group, Audubon will immediately notify the designated guardian, send campers home, and issue pro-rated refunds for any missed days of camp.
Campers enjoy the Zoo as their playground as they discover wild animals, wild places, and what people are doing to protect the natural world. Zoo Camp features three weeks of unique curriculum for each age group. Click HERE to learn more about Audubon Zoo Summer Camp 2021. Registration will open Monday, March 15, 2021.
Summer camp at Audubon Zoo unites children through experiences that make a positive impact on the natural world. It is through these experiences that campers learn to embrace action and realize that when they help the natural world, they improve the world around them.