Brennan’s Restaurant is presently – and has been since 1956 – located on Royal Street in the French Quarter in a building that’s more than 200 years old. The area has faced a number of difficulties, including a raging fire that engulfed the area in 1794.
After a new, two-story structure was rebuilt in1795 on the lot at 417 Royal St., the property served several subsequent functions, including as a bank, home, Tulane University property and finally, in 1954, as a rental property, rented to an aspiring young go-getter named Owen Edward Brennan.
After heavy renovation – including work done after another massive blaze in 1975 – Brennan’s now has 12 lovely dining rooms and seating for 550 guests. Today, guests at Brennan’s can enjoy dining on some of New Orleans’ best-loved dishes, including the classics such as Banana’s Foster, invented in ’51 by Brennan’s Chef Paul Blangé. (The dish came to be because New Orleans had, by the ’50s, become a hub for bananas traveling into the U.S. from South and Central America, and the restaurant wanted to make good use of the traveling fruit.)
Additionally, breakfast dishes such as Eggs Hussarde (poached eggs, Holland rusks, Canadian Bacon, Marchand de Vin sauce and Hollandaise sauce) have made “Breakfast at Brennan’s” a classic New Orleans meal.