Nostalgia

Nostalgia | The Voyage of Friendliness

  In November of 1915, journalist Elwood Lloyd, his wife (referred to only as “Little Partner”), and their small dog Patsy May, put their birch-bark canoe the “Vagabond” in the water at Chautauqua Lake, New York, and started a 3,976-mile,…

Nostalgia | Cosimo’s Bar

Cosimo’s Bar, located at 1201 Burgundy St. in the French Quarter, is not, in fact, connected to music studio owner Cosimo Matassa. Instead, it was named after its original proprietor, Cosimo “Gus” LoBuono. Opened in 1934, the bar was more…

Nostalgia | John F. Popp & Rebecca Grant Popp

When businessman and philanthropist John F. Popp died in 1918, one of the first beneficiaries of his legacy was Audubon Park. His donation was to be used to “increase the recreative opportunities of the park for the benefit of the…

Nostalgia | Brother Isaiah

Brother Isaiah, pictured in his white robe among a crowd of spectators in 1920, lived with his mother and sister aboard a small, ramshackle houseboat on the batture at Calhoun Street while he worked as a ships’ watchman. He became…

Nostalgia | Carnival Cancellations

Image provided courtesy of the Historic New Orleans Collection, John T Mendes Photograph Collection, Gift of Waldemar S. Nelson, 2003.0182.162 A Mardi Gras masker in 1919. While there were no large krewe events that year, “celebration of an impromptu nature”…

Nostalgia | 111 to One11

The standalone seven-story brick building located at 111 Iberville St., across from Canal Place, was built circa 1884 by…

Nostalgia | E. A. Farley Florist

New Orleans native E.A. Farley started his plant nursery in Gentilly in 1911. There were no roads leading to the undeveloped cow…

Racing Into History

In the infield of the New Orleans Fair Grounds are two small white obelisks inscribed with the names Pan…

Saint Roch

Saint Roch Chapel in 1920, photographed by John Mendes. Based on chapels in Germany and Hungary, it was noted as one of the best examples of Gothic architecture in the United States. Saint Roch, also the patron saint of dogs,…

Nostalgia: Monkey Business on Canal

Image provided courtesy of The Historic New Orleans Collection, Charles L. Franck Photographers, 1979.325.5047 The Brass Rail opened at 1316 Canal St. in 1934. Taking its name from the brightly polished brass rail running along the mahogany bar, the Brass…

Nostalgia: Furniture Fame

Abraham Mintz left Russia to escape religious persecution, arriving in New Orleans in 1910 with only $3 and unable to speak the English language.  His first job was on the riverfront, carrying bananas for 25 cents a day. He moved…

Angelo Brocato

Angelo Brocato immigrated to New Orleans from Sicily in the early 1900s, following a long apprenticeship at an ice cream and pastries parlor in Paloma. He opened his own shop in the French Quarter, introducing New Orleans to Italian-style ice…

Nostalgia: Straw Hat Day

Straw Hat Day – the day designated for men to switch from winter hats to the straw hats of spring and summer – quietly started in New Orleans in the late 1910s.  But in April of 1922, Mayor Andrew McShane…

Nostalgia: Baron Fazzio’s Bowling Fascination

In 1941, Dom Fazzio opened Fazzio’s Bowling Alley, located at 1301 N. Rampart St. His tongue-in-cheek comment was that he loved bowling so much that he wanted to be sure he’d always have an alley at the ready. Known as…

Nostalgia: Arts History

Max Simon Rau opened M. S. Rau Antiques in 1912 at 719 Royal St.; 19 years later, he moved to a larger space at 630 Royal St., and the business has been located there ever since. Two expansions occurred in…

Layers of History

One of the oldest structures on Lee Circle has gone through many iterations.

Derby Dreams

The New Orleans Recreation Department Soap Box Derby