Cheers: Christmas Cheer
Naughty and nice holiday cocktail
Holiday plans seem a bit uncertain these days. Will we be able to spend time with all our friends and family or continue to be limited to small groups? With that in mind, it’s best to choose a holiday cocktail that can serve the solo imbiber or scale up for a group of thirsty revelers. Santa’s Pants fits the bill. Make the recipe as given for one drink or increase the portions for a crowd. It can even fill a punch bowl! The infused simple syrup can be made ahead of time, so you are always ready to mix up the drink, even if it’s just for yourself. Its cheery color and festive garnish will invoke the holiday season, no matter whom you are spending it with. The name alone should bring a smile to everyone’s face…something we all can use these days.
- 1/2 oz. rosemary simple syrup (see below)
- 1 1/2 oz. Grand Marnier or other orange liqueur
- 1 1/2 oz. cranberry juice
- 2 oz. rum
- 1/2 oz. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Garnish: rosemary sprig
1. Mix all ingredients in a cocktail shaker with ice and shake until chilled, about 20 seconds.
2. Strain into an Old Fashioned glass filled with fresh ice.
3. Garnish with rosemary sprig.
Rosemary Simple Syrup
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary (about 1/4 cup)
1. Combine water, sugar and rosemary leaves in a small saucepan.
2. Bring to a boil, stirring until sugar dissolves. Simmer for 1 minute.
3. Remove from heat and let syrup steep, about 30 minutes.
4. Strain syrup into clean jar and let cool. Syrup keeps for a month in the refrigerator.