Every Thursday in Lent, we’re bringing readers a fish-forward recipe from a local New Orleans chef. This week, Chef Jimi Setchim of Broussard’s Restaurant and Courtyard shares the restaurant’s bronzed redfish recipe.
- 6 oz Redfish Filet
- 1 ½ oz Lump Crab, Picked
- 2 pinches Kosher Salt, Divided in Half
- 2 pinches Black Pepper, Divided in Half
- .25 tsp Creole Seasoning
- 3 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Divided into 2 tbsp, 1 tbsp and 1 tbsp
- 2 tbsp Minced Garlic, Divided in Half
- 2 tbsp Minced Shallots, Divided in Half
- 2 tbsp White Wine
- 2 each Lemons, Halved and Squeezed for Juice
- .25 cup Heavy Cream
- 2 oz Unsalted Butter, Cubed
- 3 oz Baby Green Beans, Cleaned and Blanched
- 1 each Local or Creole Tomato
- ½ gram Chives, Snipped
Cooking the Fish
- Season fish with creole seasoning.
- Using a non-stick skillet sear fish in 1 tbsp of olive oil over medium heat.
- Flip fish and continue cooking until firm and tender.
Steaming the Crab and Making the Sauce
- Over medium heat sweat 1 tbsp shallots and 1 tbsp garlic in 1 tbsp oil.
- When shallots begin to turn translucent add 2 tbsp white wine and simmer for one minute.
- Squeeze lemon juice into pan and continue to simmer for thirty seconds.
- Add heavy cream and reduce by half.
- Stir in crabmeat and warm through.
- Slowly stir in butter; reserve.
Sautéing the Vegetables
- Over medium heat sweat 1 tbsp garlic and 1 tbsp shallots in 2 tbsp olive oil.
- Add blanched green beans and sauté.
- Add tomatoes and warm through until they just begin to release their juices.
- Season vegetables with salt and pepper.
- Place the vegetables in the center of the plate.
- Place the fish on top of the vegetables.
- Spoon the warm crab over the top of the fish.
- Drizzle remaining lemon butter sauce around the fish.
- Garnish with chives to feel fancy.
This recipe is part of Fish Fry Fridays to benefit Hospitality Cares. If you don’t feel like cooking at home, consider visiting one of the Fish Fry Friday participating restaurants. Each restaurant will donate $1 per fish fry entrée sold each week. To see a full listing of participating restaurants please visit www.FishFryFriday.org.