Fish Fridays: Chef Scot Craig’s Crab Cakes
Each Friday in Lent, we’ll bring you a fish-forward recipe from a local New Orleans chef. This week, Chef Scot Craig of Katie’s Restaurant and Francesca by Katie’s shares his crab cake recipe.
What you’ll need:
- 8 slices of white bread
- 1 lb crabmeat
- 1 stick/4 oz butter
- ½ cup chopped onion
- ½ cup chopped celery
- ½ cup chopped bell pepper
- 1 tbsp chopped garlic
- ½ cup green onions
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp pepper
- 2 tsp Cajun seasoning
- ½ tsp liquid crab boil
- 2 cups seafood stock
- 2 ½ cups Italian bread crumbs
- Grind bread in a food processor.
- Add crab meat to bread, set aside.
- In a large skillet, sauté the onion, celery, bell pepper and garlic in butter until soft.
- Add seasonings (salt, pepper, Cajun seasoning & crab boil) to the vegetable mixture and let cool for a few minutes.
- Fold the vegetables into the crab & bread in a mixing bowl.
- Add seafood stock and mix.
- Add Italian bread crumbs to stiffen.
- Form into crab cakes, then pan sauté until golden brown.
This recipe is part of Fish Fry Fridays to benefit Hospitality Cares. If you don’t feel like cooking at home, consider visiting one of the Fish Fry Friday participating restaurants. Each restaurant will donate $1 per fish fry entrée sold each week. To see a full listing of participating restaurants please visit www.FishFryFriday.org.