Every week in Lent, we’re bringing readers a fish-forward recipe from a local New Orleans chef or restaurant. This week, Copper Vine’s Chef Amy Mehrtens shares the restaurant’s jumbo lump crab deviled eggs.
- 18 Boiled eggs, 18 yolks
- 18 lumps Jumbo Lump Crab Meat
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1/4 cup Mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Pickle Relish
- 2 tablespoons Creole Mustard
- 1 tablespoon Crystal Hot Sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- 1 tablespoon Garlic Powder
- Lemon juice and zest 1 lemon
1. Place eggs in a single layer in large pot and cover with enough water that there’s 1 1/2 inches of water above the eggs.
2. Heat on high until water begins to boil, then cover, turn the heat to low, and cook for 1 minute. Remove from heat and leave covered for 14 minutes, then rinse under cold water continuously for 1 minute.
3. Peel eggs carefully without breaking them.
4. Cut eggs in half lengthwise and remove yolks.
5. Puree the yolks a food processor in batches. Or rice egg yolks through a ricer. Do not overwork the eggs.
6. Add in all the seasonings for the egg filling. Mix egg yolks and wet mixture together until it is smooth.
7. Place the egg filling in a piping bag with star tip or just use two spoons to scoop egg filling.
8. Fill the egg whites with the egg filling as desired. We usually do 1 ½ tablespoons of filling per egg white.
9. Top the deviled egg with jumbo lump crab meat.
10. Dust the egg with paprika and enjoy!
This recipe is part of Fish Fry Fridays to benefit Hospitality Cares. If you don’t feel like cooking at home, consider visiting one of the Fish Fry Friday participating restaurants. Each restaurant will donate $1 per fish fry entrée sold each week. To see a full listing of participating restaurants please visit www.FishFryFriday.org.