It’s Lenten season and many people decide to give up drinking during this time. This year, Lent takes place from Wednesday, Feb. 17, to Thursday, April 1. So, what do you sip on if you’re giving up the practice of imbibing during Lent?
We have a few great mocktails you may enjoy.
Basil Mocktail Mojito
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 4 cups water
- 6 cups fresh basil leaves, divided
- Crushed ice, divided
- 2 bottles (1 liter each) club soda
- Fresh lemon wedges
- Bring sugar and water to a boil. Stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Place half the basil in a small bowl. With a wooden spoon, crush basil. Stir into sugar mixture.
- Remove from heat; cool completely.
- Strain; refrigerate until cold.
- Place 2 cups crushed ice and remaining basil in a 4-qt. pitcher.
- Using a wooden spoon, press basil leaves against ice until their aroma is released.
- Stir in basil syrup and soda.
- Serve over crushed ice in tall glasses; squeeze lemon wedges into drink.
Virgin Bloody Mary
- 3 ounces tomato juice
- 1/2 ounce lemon juice
- 1 dash Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon celery salt Pepper (freshly ground)
- 2 dashes hot sauce (Tabasco or Cholula)
- Garnish: 1 stalk celery
- Optional garnish: 1 pickle spear
- Shake or stir tomato juice and lemon juice over ice and mix well.
- Add Worcestershire, salt, pepper and hot sauce and stir.
- Garnish with celery or pickle spear.
There is also a resurgence of non-alcoholic beer and booze free drinks that even the most seasoned drinker will enjoy Right now there are dozens of restaurants & bars accommodating the drinker who is taking a break – try Coquette, Cure, Bar Tonique, Muriel’s and more. But no matter where you’re headed, if you ask any seasoned bartender they will be able to mix you something great.
So enjoy the season, maybe pick up different ideas for sipping and enjoy through April.