As June begins so does a new Junior League year. This is the time when we celebrate our accomplishments and welcome a new set of leaders who will continue to build upon the nine- decade legacy of positive change in our city. As the President of the Junior League of New Orleans, I have enjoyed the honor and privilege of serving our members and our community.
During the 2015-2016 League year, I am proud that we:
• Welcomed 140 new members
• Celebrated 55 years of our Bloomin’ Deals Thrift Shop on Freret Street with a new layout,
renovations and increased sales
• Amassed more than 200,000 diapers for our Junior League Diaper Bank
• Selected our first Woman Entrepreneur Fellow during New Orleans Entrepreneur Week
• Celebrated our 25th year of Rebuilding Together
• Instructed 350 adolescents with Safe Sitter to reduce accidental and preventable deaths
in the home
• Cultivated entrepreneurship in 60 children through the Lemonade Day curriculum
• Encouraged literacy in 150 at-risk students within a charter school classroom
• Hosted educational events to develop healthy eating habits for over 300 local scholars
• Granted more than $40,000 in community assistance funds
• Trained energetic individuals to be effective volunteers and civic leaders
This has been an incredible year thanks to our members, staff, community and donors.
To our members, thank you for your passion, purpose and planning. While one person or one leader can make a difference, working together we are unstoppable.
To our Junior League staff, thank you for your support of our members and for caring so much about our city.
To our community, thank you for letting us help and sharing your experiences so we can make a positive impact.
To our donors, thank you for generosity and believing in our mission and our members.
As we look forward, join me in welcoming our new leadership. The 2016-2017 JLNO Board, led by Maria Pardo Huete, is immensely talented, and I look forward to the wonderful things that our League will accomplish under their leadership.
Thank you for your support and for believing in the power of the Junior League. I am proud to be a Junior League of New Orleans member and thankful to call New Orleans home!
Shannon McCloskey Able
Junior League of New Orleans President 2015-2016