Out of Your Gourd
Go nuts for Chef Michael Gottlieb’s roasted acorn squash with crab and pistachios
Roasted Acorn Squash with Louisiana Lump Crab, Hollandaise Sauce and Pistachio
Roasted Winter Squash
- 2 acorn squash
- 1 ounce molasses
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- kosher salt
- black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 375 F.
2. Combine butter and molasses to create a smooth paste.
3. Cut acorn squash into fourths and remove seeds. Baste with butter and molasses mixture and sprinkle with kosher salt and black pepper to taste.
4. Place seasoned squash on a roasting rack and bake for 20-30 minutes or until tender.
- 4 egg yolks
- 8 ounces butter
- 2 ounces cider vinegar
- 1 ounce white wine
- 1 teaspoon tarragon
- 2 black peppercorns, cracked
- 1 bay leaf
1. Melt and brown the butter.
2. Combine cider vinegar, white wine, tarragon, peppercorns and bay leaf. Reduce mixture.
3. Whisk egg yolks over a double boiler until they ribbon.
4. Slowly whisk the butter into the ribboned yolks.
5. When 1/2 of the butter is incorporated, slowly whisk in 1/2 of the cider vinegar reduction after removing the bay leaf.
6. Slowly whisk in the remaining butter.
7. Add a pinch of salt and black pepper.
8. Thin to proper consistency using reduction.
9. Adjust salt and black pepper.
Crab and Pistachio Topping
- 4 ounces jumbo lump crab, picked and warmed
- 2 ounces pistachios, shelled, roasted, salted and chopped
1. Stagger alternating pieces of warm roasted squash pieces on serving plate; drape with hollandaise sauce.
2. Cover evenly with jumbo lump crab.
3. Sprinkle with the chopped, roasted pistachios.
About the Chef
Chef Michael Gottlieb grew up in Savannah, Georgia where he was born into a 110-year food legacy, lending a hand at his family’s bakery from a very young age. After graduating from culinary school and serving stints in kitchens throughout the South, he moved to Madisonville to oversee the dual-dining concept, The Anchor and Tchefuncte’s, where he is executive chef.