A picture says a thousand words. And a wedding picture says those thousand words for years and years after they are taken. No bride, or groom, wants a subpar smile as they grin their way through their Big Day. Say “I Do” through gorgeous pearly whites with these quick tips from Dr. Richard Rathke of Nola Dental Care. (Note: The tips have been edited for clarity and brevity.)
1) Brush with a mix of two parts hydrogen peroxide, one part baking soda.
-Mix until a paste is formed, brush 2 minutes, rinse thoroughly.
-Only do this two to three times per week as the baking soda can lead to sensitivity if used more frequently
2) During regular brushing, gently brush your gums. Doing this removes plaque from your gums and reduces inflammation giving them a nice, pink, firm appearance. After all, your gums are the frame and your teeth are the picture.
3) If you are trying to whiten your teeth, refrain from eating and drinking dark liquids (for example red sauce, red wine, coffee). If you must have that morning latte, keep a bottle of water nearby and swish after every few sips to rinse the coffee from your teeth.
4) If you plan on using an at home whitening system, consult with your dentist first. Any fillings or crowns that are present won't bleach like a natural tooth.
5) If the Big Day is approaching and you still aren't seeing the results you want, consider power bleaching by your dentist. (As a special for LTEC readers, Nola Dental Care is offering $100 off of a power whitening session to anyone who mentions this blog post.)
These tips are great for every day , as well as for members of the bridal party or to prepare for wedding festivities.
Nola Dental Care, 307 Tchoupitoulas St #200, New Orleans, 504-528-7800.