The first golf course at City Park was built in 1902 and consisted of one nine-hole course. The only public golf course in the New Orleans area, it was well used and underwent expansions and renovations in the ’20s.
In 1935, the Works Progress Administration provided federal funds and a local workforce to design and build a second championship 18-hole course at City Park. The pro shop was also updated, and a new caddy house was constructed.
In ’38, as the only public courses in New Orleans, golfing was available to all who could pay the 50-cent course fee. One of the two courses required caddy service, which added an extra 75-cents charge for the day. A “play as much as you’d like” pass was available for $3 (caddy service not included).
By 1939 WPA work on the greens was completed, and two tournaments were held in June to celebrate its opening. The golfing public was from then on able to avail themselves of two 18-hole courses: a 6,800-yards-long championship course and a 4,792-yard sporting course.
While WPA plans initially included building a ladies’ clubhouse, which would have been the only building serving women golfers in the New Orleans area, those plans were never brought to fruition. However, City Park golfers still got a new spot to relax between rounds of golf, all thanks to the WPA.
The new clubhouse, described by a Times-Picayune writer as “the last word in golf house construction,” was completed in the fall of 1940. Opening ceremonies for the $85,000 clubhouse were held in October and included a formal dedication, music, refreshments and a special tournament.