I’m told everyone loves a list on the internet and who am I to deny the people or the entire world wide web? So here’s the top 12 cool things about football in southern Louisiana.
1. I said it last week and I will keep saying it. Tulane football is on a ride that is absolutely wild and could end up with them playing for the AAC championship. Halfway through the season they are sitting at 5-1 and tied for first in the AAC West. Even the greenest of Greenies has to shake their head and smile about that one.
2. Yet, like everything else in New Orleans, all stories start and are obliterated by everything going on with the New Orleans Saints (5-1). This weekend was no different as the Saints went into Jacksonville and ground out a 13-6 victory over the Jaguars. The offense was absolutely ugly but the defense was solid led by Cam Jordan’s two sacks (I love that human). Teddy Bridgewater didn’t do much and, once again, the running game struggled but, hey, like Gertrude Stein said, a win is a win is a win.
3. You can’t talk about football in Louisiana without talking about the season the LSU Tigers are having. With the 42-28 win over the then #7 Florida Gators they have moved into the hallowed top four at #2 as championship talk gets real in Baton Rouge. It’s a different type of ball being played this year by LSU with a high voltage offense covering for a suspect defense. What that means down the road, I have no idea.
3.5. Gertrude Stein actually said a rose is a rose is a rose but you get the picture.
4. Nicholls State? You’re damn right Nicholls State. Enough can’t be said about the turnaround of the Colonels’ program what currently sits #12 in the FCS. Nicholls State already has a big Southland conference road win over Central Arkansas and plays a massive game this weekend against the less-tough-than-usual (but still good) Sam Houston State.
5. Last week, I told you about my friend Ann stating that she wasn’t emotionally ready for the Saints season. Well this game against Jacksonville was the emotion known as FRUSTRATION.
6. Tulane came into the game versus UConn favored by 34 points. Like I said, this is a wild time to be a Tulane football fan! The expectation of this team is the highest it has been in years and they are meeting the challenge. They absolutely destroyed UConn 49-7 and routinely go over 500 yards offense a game. This offense couldn’t get out of its own way three years ago and, even last year, wasn’t seen as a threat. Those days are long gone. This offense is real.
7. It was wonderful to see that the UNO Privateers announced that they will resume playing college football next year. Now, of course, that is a lie but, by god, I’m going to keep saying it until it happens! Just think of how cool the 2020 UNO Privateers uniforms would look!
8. Here’s to another beautiful day of perfect healing and coming back better than ever for Drew Brees.
9. LSU (6-0) will be tested but have to sweep through the next two weeks to have a shot to stay in the college football playoff. They will travel to Starkville to take on Mississippi State and then host #11 Auburn in Death Valley. Win those two games, and the death star that is Alabama football awaits in Tuscaloosa. Can this team beat the Crimson Tide?
10. Another game that is also on the road and just as big to the program is the Green Wave traveling to Memphis to take on the Tigers in a major showdown in the AAC West. If Tulane can pull out the victory they will be favored in their next two and could roll into three massive games to end the year at 8-1. Temple, UCF, and SMU will end the season and the last game of the year against the Mustangs could determine who will represent the West in the AAC Championship.
11. Props to all of the Saints fans in Jacksonville who were heard, loud and proud, doing the “Teddy! Teddy! Teddy!” chants in the fourth quarter. Who Dat Nation remains the greatest nation.
12. So, in college football, there is a new rule where if a player does not play more than four games he can redshirt and come back to play the next year. It has had a subtle impact this year. When Tulane came back to knock off the Houston Cougars in week four the Cougars senior quarterback, D’Eriq King and their starting wide receiver both redshirted for the year. Basically sinking the Cougars season in hopes of better returns next year. Again, a subtle impact in the overall scheme of things but, mark my words, if the rule isn’t changed there will be a major impact soon. Why wouldn’t there be? Say you have a team that is supposed to win it all but have an awful start to the season. Wouldn’t you take the chance to reboot by sitting six, seven of your starters if you could? It will happen.
And like a fine wine with a steak dinner, every game should be accompanied by a beverage and song.
Beer Pairing: Bayou Teche Brewing’s “Colonels Retreat” Lager
Playlist Recommendation: De La Soul (ft. Chaka Khan) – “All Good”
Around the Way
To say there is a buzz around the New Orleans Pelicans would be an understatement. They’ve won their first three preseason games in exciting fashion and Zion Williamson has been The Man. Sure, it’s just the preseason but I guess that’s the point. This town is hyped about preseason games now.
This season could get hot folks.