When prompted to think about “back-to-school,” the mind wanders through red falling foliage over cracked, grounded leaves, onto school buses and off into new-pencil-scented classrooms. Scenic images of little hands waving from the last window of the school bus don’t often relay the calamity-laden journey taken before Timmy or Tammy got on that dang bus. Pencils, crayons, book covers, glasses, haircuts… and then of course, there’s the clothes.
Now, conventional folk-wisdom says, “clothes don’t make the man,” but even with budgets tightening around the nation, a sharp new ensemble can excite and embolden even the shyest child, encouraging little feet to run, rather than walk, through the autumn leaves to school.
Clockwise (from the green backpack):
1. Founded in 1995 by two veteran flight attendants, the baggallini Inc. line features, among other items, bags and totes made for traveling ease. This lightweight, neon green Urban backpack, made of parachute-style rip-proof nylon,
is water-resistant and features convertible straps which can be zipped together for carriage on one or both shoulders.
Judy at the Rink, 2727 Prytania St., 891-7018.
2. Little princesses will love going to their first day of pre-school in this pink checkered gingham dress with green polka-dot bows. Garments of this variety are custom-made for sale exclusively at Itsy-Bitsy Me and can be custom-ordered for size, color, style and appliqué. Itsy Bitsy Me, 1213 N. Causeway Blvd., Metairie, 837-7373.
3. Waiting for the school bus on a
drizzly day is never fun, but it can be fashionable! Help little ones keep out the cold on rainy, bus stop mornings with this navy hooded raincoat, with embroidered crawfish detail, and matching rubber boots by Heartstrings. Little Laughter, 5530 Magazine St., 897-4880.
4. Itty-bittiest future scholars (or just babies helping take brother or sister to school), a rock ‘n’ roll Onesie and matching pacifier, both by Aristobrat. The ‘bling bink’ is encrusted with miniature Swarovski crystals and, believe it or not, is even FDA-approved for baby use!
Baby Bump Maternity, 3331 Severn Ave., Metairie, 342.2347, www.nolababybump.com.
5. This ensemble from the Martha’s Vineyard line, available in the Boy’s
section at Perlis, includes light blue khakis with a pink and blue button down shirt. New boxers, like those from Martha’s Vineyard shown here, are always a good purchase for young men (no one wants to change after gym wearing funky undies).
Perlis, 6070 Magazine St., 895-8661 or (800) 725-6070; 600 Decatur St., Suite 103, 523-6681; 1281 N. Causeway Blvd., Suite 6, Mandeville, (985) 674-1711 or (800) 254-0331.
6. The back-to-school time of year never seems to coincide with back-to-school weather. An item as basic as a baseball cap, like this Life is Good cap from Canine Culture (available in sizes for
children ages 6-12), protects little
eyes and faces from baking in the Louisiana sun. Canine Culture,
8110 Hampson St., 373-5141, www.canineculturenola.com.